Saturday, August 31, 2013

Telling the story


I missed posting the painting I did last week. Well, actually I forgot to take the pictures of the process and then forgot to post it! Guess that is what crunch time on research papers will do to you!

Anyways, here is the photo I chose to work from. I took this photo from inside the "playhouse" at Boldt Castle. The playhouse sits almost directly on the water and is a beautiful structure (even if still a bit in need of repairs).

Now, one thing I learned about through my readings was the importance of telling a story with your art. The doorways at Boldt were very appealing to me that day. Doorways are both entrances and exits. You move through them into different spaces, and in this instance different worlds. The interior of Boldt Castle has been remodeled to resemble the era that George Boldt lived to "feel" appropriate for the times. Therefore the inside is of one era and the outside is the trees, flowers, and water of today.

This doorway itself was beautiful with its round window and streaming sunlight. The bright water outside set against the dark interior and the smooth polished glass with the rough stone were beautiful opposites. I felt this picture alone spoke of hope and promise for this place that was abandoned after a tragedy.

The little windows on the sides were a bit of a distraction. A painting is supposed to enhance the image, not be painted completely from what is seen. Make it better, bigger, brighter! Art does not have to copy life, just enhance and bring out the beauty and story of life.

So without further chit chat from me, here is what I came up with!

1 comment:

  1. Following you already

    CAPS Team

    <><
    http://ChristieCottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete