Thursday, February 19, 2015

February's purple skies


 
Purple Skies! One of the joys of doing these challenges is that I get to paint and work on things that I've been putting off. When I first started out painting (back when I was a teenager) I used Bob Ross's method to painting with oil paints. Bob Ross was mainly a landscape guy and so that is what I learned first, how to paint landscapes. After awhile though I wanted to do my own thing and started working on different subjects like flowers and animals. However, I never felt like I had "mastered" the art of landscapes either. So occasionally I go back and see what I can do with just the world as it is around me.
 
This painting is actually of the sun setting in our backyard last spring. My mother in law lives next door, as my daughter and I walked home from her house I snapped a few pictures of the setting sun. I have a few of these sunsets and some sunrises in my reference folders, but this one was perfect for my February challenge in how the sky was pleasantly purple. The sky was one color, the clouds another shade, and the field was all dark too. The purple and the yellow light from the setting sun makes for a very bright and strong impression.
 
I can't say that I have perfected the art of landscapes, which is why skies are part of my challenge. I want to focus at least one day a month on the art of cloud forming and creating realistic skies so that one day my backgrounds for my horses might include some great skies. Maybe even a sunset or two! We don't improve unless we devote time to it. Maybe one day I'll master the art of landscapes....as long as they have a horse or two in them!
 
Next piece for February is our Seasonal piece. It may or may not be snowing still where you are, but here we are still laden down with the white stuff. Therefore, we are going to see a winter chestnut horse enjoying his time in the snow. Check in tomorrow to see him!
 
Remember, most of the paintings here are listed on eBay starting at the $0.99 bid. If you see something that would make a great gift to a friend or family member, or maybe just a special gift to yourself for your own collection, don't forget to follow the link and place your bids!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment