Thursday, April 2, 2015

March Rhythm


 
Here we are again! Remember how I told you I was trying to trick my brain with doing tiny work so that my small work seemed large? Well here is the result. I love how this one came out. When I finished with it I was a little doubtful. Then I took a photo of it (photographing it for it's eBay listing) and realized that hey, it actually came out looking pretty good! The shiny on his hip gave me pause. It wasn't until I took a step back (which is what taking pictures of my paintings often helps me do) that I realized it came together quite nicely. Maybe my magnifying trick with my brain is working too well.....
 
Here is another example of how my "trick" is starting to effect my "larger" pieces.
 
 
This one I am super happy with. The detail is right were I always wanted it. I always imagined something like this only being possible if I were working on a larger scale. Maybe a 16x20 or an 18x22 would have previously given me enough room to capture all the little highlights and shadows of each muscle. Now, I can do capture the detail I love on a canvas the size of an 8x10 (which this is)! I will still be working on larger pieces as time allows. Hopefully this summer I am allowed a few times here and there to work large (cross those fingers!). But now I am not allowing size to dictate what I can and can't do! Why can't an 8x10 be just as much of a show stopper as an 18x22?!
 
The Appaloosa has been snatched up already, but the paint is still listed on eBay. If this horse needs to become part of your "stable" collection don't forget to place your bid! Follow the link at the bottom of the page for the auction info.
 
I hope you have enjoyed seeing the fruits of my labors. It is interesting to see how the mind works and how with a bit of maneuvering we can trick ourselves into doing things that previously we thought impossible. I never thought I'd get that much detail into a small painting!
 
Next time we'll see some of the dressage influences that have benefitted from this more magnified mind's eye!

2 comments: