Friday, May 8, 2015

WIP of next Dressage piece





Okay, maybe not wicked....

Regardless, there is little rest here!

A little light into my life, Serenity (our 3 year old) came down with something Monday night. I have no idea what it was, but it certainly sapped all the energy out of her. Trust me that was one powerful "cold?" since this kid is normally bouncing off the walls. So she starts feeling better after a few days of R and R....and the little one spikes a fever. Joy joy (heavy sarcasm here). Needless to say this momma is a bit worn out and feeling a bit under the weather myself, cause of course I have to get it too!

Regardless, I consider ourselves lucky. Not only do we have a roof over our heads and food in our bellies, but we also have family and in general are in good health. So I'll count our blessings and rest up as much as a momma can.

Enough about the dull drums, onto the art! Yea, I know that is why most of you are here. You want to see pictures of pretty ponies. Hopefully this next piece on the easel will not disappoint!

Meet our next big piece:

 
This is the sketch after I fixed it. Sometimes it takes a few comparisons to make sure that I have the perspective correct. I then started with his eye.  
 
 
 
This guy is a dark bay so most of the colors I will be using are earth tones. My reference photo is one taken by Karen Duplantis from Fiore Photography. Her original photograph the horse is coming from the left. However, since my Andalusian Templado is already coming from that direction, I wanted this one to come from the right. So I flipped it! Hopefully they will look amazing together. MY goal is to finish this bay by the deadline for the Equine Jubilee in Delaware, Ohio this fall. They will make great entries!
 
For those that are keeping up with my eBay listings, here is the latest! This is May's Close Encounter. I know I haven't kept up very well with my monthly pieces, but I hope I can get back on track here soon!
 
I definitely think that the ACEO work is helping with my smaller pieces! This one is a 6x6 on boxed canvas. Though smaller in size, it will still make quite the impression! May's Close Encounter ends on Weds so you have plenty of time to place your bids! The auction starts at the $0.99 bid. Follow the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201345830181?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2648 for bidding!
 
Hope everyone is having a great week! My focus is getting a bit more of the bay done and one of the dressage pieces based on the photographs from last weekend. Wish me luck haha!
 
No Rest for the Wicked meme. Gallery for>No Rest for the Wicked. imgarcade.com


2 comments:

  1. Nicole, as I read your post about your artistic process, I couldn't help but wonder how it compares to your composition process. Is there any connection in the way you approach developing a painting and the way you approach composing a text?

    Marlen : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting thought Marlen. I do seem to approach both of them as if they were puzzles. Hopefully if I get a few spare minutes this week I can get more done on this painting and you can see how I work outward from this point completing as I go. When I compose a text I also "sketch" out the idea in an outline then complete as I go. I will start on one focus point of my argument and complete that before moving on to another section.
      Oh and I do work a puzzle in the same manner! Very interesting look inside my head I suppose!

      Delete