Saturday, May 4, 2013

Boldt Castle, Alexandria Bay NY


So, I started this before my challenge in March. Getting ready for the show season (with a lot of local visitors to view my art) I figured I better finish it! For those that are not local, this is a painting of a local landmark, Boldt Castle.

The history (as I know it) is this castle was built on this island (it sits out in the middle of the bay) by a rich man in love with his girlfriend. Unfortunately the castle itself was never complete and was never occupied at the time the couple lived. Many years later the castle was finished according to the original specifications. Tours and events are held at the castle every year. And, on a personal note, Yours Truly's hubby is actually working on parts of the castle this summer as a restoration project for his job! (Yea, pretty proud of him and think this is completely awesome).

Being the history buff that I am, I just had to paint this. I just love the story behind this piece and this place. I hope to tour the castle one day and see what all those little doors/windows go to on this stone structure in the middle! In fact I might have to go do more sketches in plain air this summer. This painting is a 16x20 oil on canvas referenced from a photograph we took last summer.

So what do we think? Boldt Castle is definitely an interesting subject isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment