Sunday, January 13, 2013

A new experience

So, today I want to spend a moment thinking about the sermon I heard at church this morning. My mother-in-law invited us to attend this new church with her. Trying to be a supportive daughter-in-law, I said sure, why not...what could it hurt? Now, I want to tell you that this morning's experience was definately new and definately good. This church was interesting, friendly, funny, and a general good time with good people. What made it stand out the most was how God comes and talks to us regardless of where we are at. I am not one of this pastor's sheep, yet his words still spoke to my heart in a manner that only God can do. Therefore in this new church, with these new and unfamilar people, I experienced God affirming me in some decisions and guiding me in different ways. Let me tell you what He said through this pastor, for these words might help you too.
This church is starting a new year with a new focus...on being chosen instruments. They are using Acts 9:15
"But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:". Now this in itself doesn't strike me as unique to me, but the message of this pastor spoke about, "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."[Proverbs 22:6] His explanation of this verse was truly inspiring for me and I am glad that my parents held to it.
From a very young age I have always been an artist. Professionally, I just didn't think it was going to ever happen. Everyone (from teachers, parents, friends, etc.) talked as though being a professional artist was a life destined for poverty. The phrase "starving artist" was tossed around quite alot. However, everyone thought that I should at least try to find time to paint, draw, etc. They said I had potential, even if it wasn't a career worthy goal. So for years, I listened and tried to find something that I could do that might leave me a bit of time (obviously not enough) to be an artist too. Actually, until just recently, I still do this.

But, this pastor talked about being "inclined" towards a certain thing. His sermon was how Paul (as the Jewish leader Saul) already had the inclination of being a great leader. God had already selected Paul to lead and bring the Gospel to people around the world before Paul even knew what it was to be a Christian. I think this is something that can be spoken about each and every one of us.
I'm not a speaker, leader, musically inclined, athletically inclined, or any other sort of person. Instead I am an artist. I enjoy immersing myself into the arts. I love the smell of paint, the feel of the paint brush as it moves that paint, the quiet or soft music that accompanies me as I paint. I love seeing a creature or object take form on my canvas or paper.
This new church has this focus for the year and the pastor reminded them of the amazing unknown journey their focus can take them this year. I think this can hold true for me too. Over the past few months (as we entered into the new year), I have started to see my artistic buisness as more than just a hobby. It has potential to become so much more. No longer am I thinking of what I am going to be when I grow up, but of how I can continue to grow doing what I love. Just like that pastor, I'm interested to see where this new year can take me as I become a chosen vessel doing what God has gifted me with.

No comments:

Post a Comment