Monday, April 9, 2012

Breastmilk, formula, or else?


    When I was pregnant, just like many pregnant women, I was asked about whether I would consider breastfeeding. At first this was something I had thought very little about. Yes, I support the women that chose to do so, but had really never thought about doing so myself. Every time someone mentioned breastfeeding all I could think about was having this little person attached to me in a manner in which I was not sure I could be comfortable with. Did I want to give my daughter the best I could? Did that mean breastfeeding or would formula and bottles be the best because of my comfort level? These were questions I now had to ask myself.
     Now, whether you chose to breastfeed or formula feed, there are serious considerations that you must think about. Breastfeeding has become the newest trend in newborn care (well a reoccurring trend) and the benefits are truly worth it. As a mother you can lose weight quicker. Your body bounces back from labor in a much more natural way due to the hormones and reactions caused during breastfeeding. The child gains numerous benefits from the milk because human milk is designed to feed human babies. Many mothers also find that breastfeeding is convenient for them and their little ones.
     However, don't believe the myths that breastfeeding is easy, painless, and always convenient. Breastfeeding is sometimes discouraging when you find you can not keep up with your baby's demands. Its not painless. The pain lessens over time, but the initial period of sometimes 6 weeks to 3 months can in fact be really painful. That is just the typical pain that should be expected, not to mention if you end up with a plugged duct or mastitis. As for convenience, I think that relies on your definition of convenient. It also relies on the manner in which you chose to feed.
   I personally have not nursed, but I am breastfeeding. I chose to exclusively pump breast milk and feed this to my daughter in a bottle. This statement right here separates me from both the bottle feeders and the breast feeders. Once I made this decision, I found myself on a very lonely road. Yet, I personally found this to be the most beneficial to me and my family because I had what I see as the best of both worlds.
    I can eat what I want without it affecting my child's next feeding, all I have to do is pump and dump. Growth spurts do not require me and baby to have marathon nursing sessions, instead I can have Dad help feed her too. I have the convenience of being my baby's personal vending machine when we are out, but without all the stares and glares from the passer-bys. But there are drawbacks too.
    Pain is one drawback. 5 months into this and I finally found a comfortable level of pumping. For the first 5 months engorgement, plugged ducts, mastitis, and just plain soreness were frequent companions. Another drawback is the equipment needed. I have bottles, nipples, milk bags, pumping apparatus, etc. to clean and carry. Finally the biggest drawback is the isolation of being an exclusive pumper by choice.
    Many many times I was discouraged and told to change my mind. The breastfeeding community put extensive pressure on me to nurse. My doctor, lactation consultant, and pretty much anyone I approached for advice told me to try and get my daughter to latch on. I had to get mean a few times and stand my ground. That is NOT what I wanted. On the other hand, many suggested I switch to formula and forget the hassle of pumping 6+ times a day. Almost everyone but my daughter's pediatrician attempted to discourage me from the course I set. I contribute my continued efforts at providing the best for my child to my stubbornness and my devotion to my daughter.
    I know many will not read this through entirely. I know that once my position was stated doors were closed since I've chosen a position that many do not agree with. Yet I wanted to let those few that have chosen, like me, to exclusively pump, that you are not alone. Others are out there. I've met a few here and there. If you are choosing to do something that benefits your child, then you are not doing anything wrong. Stand tall and congratulate yourself on a job well done. Don't let others discourage you for doing what is right for you and your family. If you choose to nurse, pump, or formula feed, you are choosing to feed your child. NOTHING is wrong with that choice.
   Moms, I salute you for a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment