Monday, April 23, 2012

Mother's intuition

If you would have asked me about moms possessing a sixth sense before I became one, I would have laughed in disbelief. In fact, I often wondered why my own mother used to yell at us for things that could have or might have happened. I remember racing across the street with my little brother, chasing a ball. Mom was so mad and scared we got yelled at a lot that day! Yet in my mind we had adverted any danger since we ran around any cars. She used to tell us about the danger she could see us getting ourselves into. I never understood it much, until I brought my little girl into the world.
Now.... I'm seriously not crazy. I just believe in the possibility of mother's intuition. It is like having a sense of foreknowledge about events that could occur from the situation in front of me. I can 'see' things happening that could harm my daughter. It is an interesting and new feeling. I can 'see' her knocking a jar of baby food onto the floor before she reaches for it. If I ignore the feeling, I'll have a baby food-covered baby! Those are the minor gut urgings. The major ones tell me about the wood sticks she could put in her mouth, the car seat she could pull down on herself, and the cords she could wrap around her neck. It is as if my danger radar is on super high to help me prevent any situations that could endanger her.
Now I understand why my own mother used to appear paranoid! She was using her own radar to prevent us from getting hurt.
I thought maybe I was making this up and I was just being over cautious; but after doing a little reading, I discovered that mothers actually do become more tuned into what their babies need, especially protection. This intuition is built into our hard drives. One mother said she could tell when her son was going to have a seizure, even though he had only had two in his lifetime. She actually predicted the third one a year and half later! Hopefully my intuition will not be needed for situations like that, but I will believe it if necessary.
On top of this intuition is the invisible cord that seems to still connect us. Though I am in the other room while she is sleeping, I feel as though part of myself is still "listening" for her. Who knew being a mother was going to be such an interesting and eye-opening experience! This little life has changed everything. I've reconnected and now see the world in a new and glorious way.
Cheers to you moms (and dads) out there that know what I mean. Enjoy those changes and relish the new way you see the world....though a child's eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment