Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sons of the Wind series #2


So my progress for this week! Worked out this painting of our Sons of the Wind horse and rider. No, this painting does not have a name quite yet. Still working on that! Any suggestions?

This #2 painting originated with a photo of Vitor riding around the arena, leading the group of riders. Unfortunately the photo was a bit too far off to see the detail intensely. Yet, this gave me a great idea and opportunity to try something new! I didn't want to be on top of the rider, nor make an exact impression of who this horse and rider is. I wanted it more general than that. I wanted to capture the moment and the feeling one gets when watching a great horse and rider team complete the dance of dressage.

So, I did a bit of study on loosening up my strokes. Anyone that follows my artwork can see how tight and detailed I try to work. No, I'm not up to the point of photorealism, but I do try to blur the lines and strokes enough that they are harder to see. However, I sometimes envy some of the lighter, looser, paintings full of emotion and movement. This is what I wanted for this painting. To feel the horse's movement and the magic of connection between horse and rider.

This is a different feel and a different style for me, but I love it! I loved the freedom of allowing the paint and the brush to form the horse and rider. To forget about being so anal on the details and just letting the form flow. I definitely will incorporate this new style into my toolbox. Here is another photo of the up close view of how thick the paint is! Definitely something new and wonderful!



No comments:

Post a Comment