Monday, March 2, 2015

February Purple Reflections


 
I know, its not blue. Still purple in fact. But, I simply had to share this one before someone loses out on bidding on it just because I didn't post it here too. This is one of those pieces that just should not be missed out on. It is our February Reflections piece and isn't he a beauty!? The subject for this piece is a dark bay horse backlit by the sun. Now, I know what you are thinking, Bay? Bays are brown horses, where on earth do you get the color purple from?
 
Well, as we have been discussing, a horse's coat is not just one solid color. Correction, it is but it isn't. A bay is a horse with a brown body and a black mane and tail. True. However, because of the lighting and the way a horse's coat shines often different subtle colors can be seen. Black horses often show up a range of colors from blue to purple to red to brown. Bay horses can too. This guy, with the sun coming from above and behind him a bit, showed colors of deep mahogany, dark brown, black and a bit of royal purple, followed by highlights of pale blue, lavender and gold. A rainbow of colors! It is with this rainbow of colors that we can make a horse come to life on the canvas.
 
Our world is filled with subtle uses of color. It takes a bit of practice (which is one reason I have been trying to challenge myself to find these colors throughout the month) but we can eventually see that nothing is simply one solid color. Nothing natural anyways. I'm not sure about you, but I know that through this month's journey I know I have learned a good bit about the uses of the color purple. I definitely think I'll be using more purple in future pieces to enhance and bring to life my paintings!
 
Next time we'll have to see what fun things I have found for light blues. A new friend Kimberley Smith has shared a number of inspiring photos with some of us fellow artists and I have the perfect one chosen for our Close Encounter for March. It is the eye of Freckles, a tobiano that is so gorgeous and unique!
 
Remember, February Reflections is on eBay currently so dont' forget to place your bids! This piece is a little larger than some of the others (its a 12x12) and will make quite the addition to anyone's collection.
 
Until next time!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment