Saturday, March 14, 2015

Mini paintings!


 
Mini paintings I say? This isn't a mini painting! Or is it? Actually it is. It measures 3in by 3in and took lots of tiny brushes to paint. See it sits on a little easel...


isn't that just adorable!?

 
See how tiny?! Now, yes I have a very good reason for doing these besides their cute factor. Last year I chose to set aside much of my larger work because standing at an easel while pregnant and then later with a newborn was simply not something I could do for long. Therefore any larger piece literally took months to finish. With that I decided to just stick with smaller pieces and started my eBay auctions (the year anniversary is in April!). I had thought this was going to be just a temporary thing, but over the course of the year I've found that I actually love the whole eBay auctions and the smaller work!
 
Though I love doing the smaller pieces I have so many ideas set up for larger canvases. Unfortunately time and storage is still not allowing me to do a lot of the bigger pieces. Sooo...I thought why not make my "larger" works "smaller"? Instead of trying to find the time and space to complete an 18x24 piece of a western horse, paint the western horse in all his glory on a 12x16. This left me with the problem of doing tiny details which I was not sure I could do. Need to do tiny detail? Work on tiny canvases! I found some small canvases, primed them, sketched out some ideas and went to work!
 
This is completely a psychological thing. By working tiny the "smaller" canvases start to feel large. If  I can paint a fully detailed eye on an ACEO (a 2.5"x3.5") then I should easily be able to paint a detailed eye on an 11x14. Therefore some of those ideas that I felt I had to have a large canvas on are going to actually happen on a smaller scale, with hopefully the same impact!
 
So be prepared to see those ideas come to life and enjoy some of these "Studio Gems" (and I am calling them for that is what they are....little gems to be treasured). They will also be listed on eBay so be on the look out for some gems to add to your treasure horde!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment