Sunday, March 1, 2015

February Purple Wildlife and On Wings


 
So we have officially ending February. With February coming to a close, hopefully, we can actually start looking forward to spring. Hopefully. I know here in Northern NY we really just hope that it stops snowing and that the temperature will officially stay above 0.....above freezing is a lofty goal. But because I am trying to think of spring, I found this little buck standing in a meadow the perfect subject for my wildlife piece for February. The little purple flowers add just the right touch to the orange glow of the sun on the deer. This is one thing I have learned about the color purple. Sometimes just adding in a few small touches can enhance some of the other colors within the painting. Other times purple can just make the subject stand out, like in our On Wings piece for February.
 
 

Our On Wings piece stars this beautiful horned owl in flight. One of my DeviantArt buddies EdgedFeathers captured this bird Ulysses in midflight. I thought he was gorgeous! The lavender background certainly sets a mood too. Not only does it compliment the color of his feathers, but it also helps create a story to the piece. Maybe Ulysses is coming home as the sun kisses the sky with colors of light purple, pink and yellow after a long night of hunting. Or maybe he is just setting out to hunt as dusk meets the night leaving the sky tinged with purple tones as the sun sets. Either way, the story is perfect and makes for a great piece, don't you think?
 
Both of these pieces are (or will be) listed on eBay starting at the $0.99 bid. If you know someone that needs a little reminder of spring or maybe collects owls and should have Ulysses in their collection, don't forget to follow the links at the bottom of each piece and place your bids.
 
I have a few more pieces from February that I want to share, but I'll probably just pepper them in with the other pieces for March. March starts us on the journey of light blues! Why light blue? Well....March is actually my birth month and I have always loved my birthstone Aquamarine. Because of that I thought that shades of light blue would be perfect for this month's color challenge! So check back to see what I find inspiring about aquamarine!

No comments:

Post a Comment