Sunday, March 17, 2013

Challenge day 13


Okay day 13! This painting itself was an experiment. On many of my previous paintings for this challenge I started with a few coats of acrylic gesso to give the surface more "tooth". This tooth makes it easier to move the paint around on the canvas without creating what alot of artist call mud (where the colors just blend into one muddy color). The gesso made the surfaces of my paintings easier to paint essentially. However, some of the colors were not working well painted directly on the gesso. Therefore I had imperfections that were bugging me. After trying to figure out what was going on (and asking around if anyone else had this problem before) I decided to experiment. This painting for day 13 was painted without the preprep of gesso coats.
This is probably why the glare is so horrible on this photo...well that and the sunlight at that moment! The background of this painting came out beautifully. The horse looks as though it stepped out of the shadows for there are no imperfections in the background this time! Which makes me very happy. However....the horse itself was quite a challenge to paint for my paints wanted to muck up alot.
Sooo...more experiments! Going to try a different brand of gesso and see how that works for me. Check in tomorrow to see how well day 14's painting comes out!

All of my paintings are eventually listed on my Etsy shop. You can also contact me through Facebook or email to inquire about your favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment