Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Challenge day 20!


Okay, so day 20! And yet again with the chiaroscuro! I'm not sure what it is, but I just love the dark, black canvases with the horses just selectively reflecting the light. One of the purposes of this challenge was to enhance my ability to draw and paint horses. Another purpose was to experiment with compositions and color combinations to see what fit me best. As an artist it is often easy to become stuck (artist block anyone?) and through personal experience, I have found this often comes when I am overwhelmed with ideas with no clear starting point. This challenge gives me the opportunity to try many of the ideas in my head on a smaller scale to see what fits my artistic vision best. Interestingly these paintings that exploit the values of light and dark have become my favorites. Many of my horse chiaroscuro paintings are begging to become series of works on a much grander and larger scale. I hope you like these as well!

A little bit about this painting specifically. At the age of 14 I attended a show by the White Lipizzaner Stallions at a racetrack in Cleveland, OH on Kentucky Derby Day. Though watching the race simulcast at the racetrack was fun, the flying and dancing White Stallions were more amazing. This was the first time I actually saw the art of dressage and I've loved it ever since. Horses are such graceful and beautiful animals without humans mucking it up. However, the art of dressage and the dance of the horses with the rider is truly magical.

Again, one of my fellow DeviantArt members was gracious to provide stock photos, so special thanks to Starlit_Stock for this photo reference.

All of my paintings are eventually listed on my Etsy shop or you can contact me through email or Facebook to inquire about your favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment