Thursday, January 1, 2015

January White "On Wings"


Happy New Year! New Year, New mission....

Well as I said in my last post, I am going to try this year to revive this blog a bit more. Last year was a great year, but I had little time to work on blogs or websites. This year I hope to pump some life into both of those, starting with my blog! My first piece of my yearly series is done, so we are off to a good start!

January is focusing on the color, or lack of color, we all call white. You'd think this color would be easy to paint. Just slap some white on the canvas, and even if the canvas is colored, the white will stand out. However, in life white is often not just "white". White reflects a lot of different colors. Snow, which we all know is "white", can in fact be all different colors. In the shadows it can be blue or purple, maybe even a pinkish hue if it is reflecting the sunset. In the warm winter sun the snow can take on a yellowish hue looking more ivory in color. Occasionally you will have instances of pure white and those spots on a painting can draw the eye away or create a great focal point.

All of these things are what I want to explore this month. I want to see how white works within a piece and how it works in life. So, with that note, here is our first piece!

So, for those that don't know, I live in upstate NY. We are really close (like 45 mins close) to the Canadian border. When winter hits it often hits hard. Last winter was crazy with snow, ice and frigid temperature! Yet a bright spot on all of this was these beautiful white arctic birds, snowy owls, that started to appear in various place. I didn't get to see any last year, but this year they are back and I love seeing them! One has taken up residence in a field nearby and my mother in law took this beautiful picture of him. He seemed like the perfect subject to start the year out with. Though in the sky or on a telephone pole he looks all white, in fact his wings and body are dappled with brown spots.

I hope you have enjoyed the first piece and the little breakdown of what I am planning this year. Remember each one of these will be listed on eBay so if you see something you can't live without don't forget to place your bids!

Happy New Year everyone! Here is to a productive and colorful 2015!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201254120439?ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1554.l2649

No comments:

Post a Comment