Monday, January 5, 2015

January white "western"


 
So here we go, painting day 3! Yes, technically it is January 5th, but I've decided that I have to reserve the weekends for family and school. Still have to get that Masters degree finished (only have a few more classes to go!!), so school does need some time.....I suppose.
 
Anyways, painting #3. This time we are going "western"! There really is a method to this madness, honest! I have actually been working (slowly, but surely) on a western themed series. This image (referenced from horsestockphotos on DeviantArt) is on my to-do list. Therefore, I had to try it out on a smaller scale for this month of white. I do have to say that keeping the white "white" is a challenge. Because I work alla prima (wet on wet) I can blend with ease. However, this does make it challenging when you don't want it to blend and the paint just wants to do what it wants. I think I kept this guy's white "white" though.
 
Oh and by the way, how unique is this guy? I think that is what attracted me to him and why I definitely want to paint this much larger. You don't see many gray (white) horses in the western ring. Not that they aren't there or that western horses are prejudice to white horses, but all the horse shows I've seen where western pleasure is a class most of those horses are varying shades of brown or black. There might be a white horse to every 10 bays or chestnuts. So just like in the class, this pretty white western show pony certainly turned my head! What do you think? Are they more common than what I've experienced or is a pretty white western horse really somewhat rare?
 
Don't forget these pieces are listed on eBay starting at $0.99! If this piece has roped your heart don't forget to place your bid! The link is provided below.
 
Tomorrow, day 4, we are going "On the Farm" and literally outside my back door!
 
Cheers!
Nicole
 

No comments:

Post a Comment