Wednesday, January 28, 2015

On the Easel


No, this one isn't still on the easel. This piece has actually found its home already. However, what is on my easel is a piece very similar to this one! I told you that I was planning on doing a piece focusing on dressage. And the one that I am working on is of a white dressage horse with a similar feel to this one.

I feel like I'm letting you down showing you something that is already done, already home. The beginning of this week has been a bit hectic. We had a late night with the taxes (having your own business certainly makes that a long drawn out process!) and a sick kiddo that didn't/couldn't sleep well. Then of course I have to get the bug too and I feel like I've accomplished nothing thus far this week! So I had to come on here and connect with you. I had some great ideas today, but then realized that I needed to prep more canvas because a piece like this one can't be done on an 8x10 canvas. So, while the canvas is drying I thought I might tell you a bit about why I relate dressage to dancing.

My first experience with dressage was at Thistledown Racetrack in Ohio. It was Kentucky Derby weekend and my parents took us to the track to see a simulcast of the race. In addition to the derby, the White Lipizzaner Stallions were at the track performing! It was honestly one of the best weekends ever! I remember watching as these horses went through their moves. The one that truly caught my eye was a beautiful bay Arabian they had performing with them. The way he moved was simply magic! It looked as though he were dancing across the dirt track; with his mane and tail flowing and his feet gliding....it was one of the most beautiful sights I've ever beheld. That experience alone instilled the love of dressage. I honestly don't believe I'll ever ride a horse like that, but I can always paint them!

I actually took my husband to a dressage event once. He's not a horse person and so didn't quite have the same experience I did. I on the other hand was instantly thrown back to that racetrack and was watching that Arabian dance once again. I always hope that through my art I can help others experience that magic that I do.

Tomorrow I'll have the white dancing horse done and listed! So come back and check it out! I also have a pretty barn owl and a cute Appaloosa jumper on my to do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment