Friday, January 16, 2015

January White "reflections"


 
Reflections. This subject actually has multiple project ideas for me. One is this idea that I am playing around with in this piece. I think it would be spectacular if I had a series of paintings with horses dancing with their "reflections". Another artist I follow did two pastel pieces where the horses looked as though they were walking on glass. I think this is a neat idea and would love to expand on it. So here is a white Arabian trying out the glass walk.
 
Another idea that I will be working out with this topic will be the reflections found in water. It is such a challenge to get it to look right. A couple years ago I worked on a swan painting specifically for the purpose of learning how to paint reflections in the water. I think to master this, I should spend more time on it. I do believe I have a few references of horses with water, not to mention more swans.
 
Okay enough with the "I want to do this" stuff. You guys will just have to follow along and see what comes up this year. Lets talk a little bit about this specific piece, shall we? I'm not sure I got the reflections here completely worked out to my liking, though the effect looks better when you take a step back. Regardless, I do love this piece! The contrast of the white horse against the inky black background makes him seem to glow. A horse like this is probably what the old man on the Last Unicorn saw when he looked at the unicorn. They say that most humans can not see unicorns. Rather they see a white horse instead. A horse like this, which seems to glow with a supernatural white light, would be a perfect unicorn. Maybe he is and we just can't see him! I know, I don't truly believe in unicorns, but I love to imagine that they might exist. When I was younger I always hoped to see the glimmer of one in the woods. Granted I never did, but hey it was a fun daydream!
 
Next piece I believe we'll be headed to the clouds for inspiration. I am using these pieces to develop my artistic ability to depict certain things. One of the things I feel I need to spend time on is my backgrounds. The clouds and sky are something magical and fun, yet if they are not painted properly the background will not look correct. So we are headed into the clouds to see what fun things we can paint!
 
Remember, all of these pieces are listed on eBay starting at the initial bid of $0.99. To place your bids all you have to do is follow the link at the bottom!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment